Senior Students- THIS IS HOW YOU WILL APPLY TO COLLEGE THIS YEAR!!!!
Naviance Family Connection: College Application Process
Step by Step –
1) Set up your Naviance Account! – You need an access code to set up your Naviance account. You can get this from your counselor. Once you sign up, create a password and email that you and your family can share.
Go to this website to sign on: http://connection.naviance.com/valleychs
2) Work on resume/letters of rec – Once you are signed up, work on your resume by clicking the tab in Family Connection that says, “About Me”. This resume will be good for colleges and scholarships you apply for. Additionally, this is the time to PERSONALLY ask teachers for letters of rec. Ask them face-to-face first…they must agree before you send them an e-mail request via Naviance! It is helpful when you have your resume done FIRST!
3) Work on applications…but do not submit yet!!! – If the colleges you are applying to are part of the Common Application, please go to www.commonapp.org to create a profile. If they are online applications, please work on them and save your progress. Your counselor will want to check to see if you are filling out everything correctly.
4) Create your list of colleges you are applying to in Naviance – In Family Connection, under the “Colleges” tab, click on “Colleges I’m Applying To”. From here, you will be prompted to complete a FERPA waiver. Click YES in order to make your letters of recommendation valid. If you are applying through the Common App, please put your user name and password in the boxes at the bottom of the screen so your application is linked with your account. At the top of the screen, you’ll see a link that says, “Add To This List”. Click on this to add your colleges.
5) Request letters of recommendation – In the same section, under Teacher Recommendations there will be a link that says, “Add/Cancel Requests”. Click on that link and use the drop down to find the teacher you want to write a letter for you. (Make sure you have personally asked the teacher and they have said YES to writing you a letter BEFORE you do this). Add any notes for the teacher, including the deadline for your application (at the very least, write THANK YOU!). Once you have selected the teachers you need, scroll to the bottom and click on “Update Requests”. This will send an email to your teachers to let them know about your request. When the teacher has completed the letter of rec, it will show up in your Naviance account as completed.
6) I’ve done my application, my college list, resume, and letters of recommendation are in…now what?! – Stop into guidance to make an appointment with your counselor. From here, we will review all your materials BEFORE you hit submit. Once we know all materials are in and good to go, we will electronically send transcripts and materials or we will print them up to be sent. YOU MUST ALSO FILL OUT A TRANSCRIPT REQUEST FORM! Feel free to print as many as you need. (Paper forms are also available in the guidance office.)
7) I need a transcript for NCAA or a Scholarship…how do I do that? – Under the Colleges tab in Family Connection on the left hand side, click “Transcripts”. Click on, “Request Transcripts for Scholarships or Athletics”. Complete the form and then scroll to the bottom and click “Add Transcript Requests”.
8) What about Scholarships? – Under the Colleges tab in Family Connection, scroll down to the section that says, “Scholarships and Money”. Click on “Scholarship List” to get a full list or “Scholarship Match” to get a list of scholarships you qualify for. Click on each scholarship to get a full description and for the ones you want to apply for, follow the directions listed. If you want reminders of the deadlines, please check mark the scholarships you want to apply to and hit “Add Selected Scholarships to My List”.
REMEMBER - SEE YOUR COUNSELOR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS!
For Facebook users, please "like" our Guidance Announcements page at the link below to get updates and announcements!