The second Budget Presentation outlined the initiatives of the 2023-24 budget. The initiatives were aligned with the four BOE VC District Goals.
BOE Goal 1: Increase Student Achievement
- Enhancing the STEAM curriculum and HS/MS STEAM facilities
- Increase high interest electives
- Evaluate/Manage Co-curricular opportunities for students all levels
- Expand Today’s Students-Tomorrow’s Teachers program
- Expand VCHS Work Based Learning program
- Targeted Professional Development
- 2023 Summer Enrichment Program
- Continue Mental Health/Social Emotional Initiatives
- Expand training in De-escalation/Restorative practices
- Expand Parent Workshops
- Expand Student Assemblies
BOE Goal 2: Attract/ Retain a Knowledgeable/ Dedicated Staff
- Continue efforts to diversify staff
- Continue to post jobs broadly across many platforms
- Participate in local BOCES hiring fair
- Continue to implement the Viking Induction/Viking Mentoring Program
- Provide differentiated professional learning opportunities
BOE Goal 3: Serve as Cornerstone of the Community
- Provide Parent Engagement Activities, i.e. workshops
- Enhance Communication and VC positive image
- Improve learning environment and relationships
BOE Goal 4: Maintain and Improve Facilities
- Walden Elementary: Seek committee recommendations on modernization/future plans
- Complete 5 year long-term facilities plan
- Proposed Capital Project
- In-House upgrades including flooring, countertops, carpet, painting, doors, lighting, vehicles and equipment
Each of the Central Office administrators presented the overall budget initiatives for the 2023-2024 budget. Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, Marianne Serratore, spoke about expanding existing programs with evaluation of the programs a goal. She passionately explained the Today’s Students, Tomorrow’s Teachers program which was initiated this year.
Today’s Students, Tomorrow’s Teachers seeks to recruit, mentor and train today’s students to return to their community as tomorrow’s teachers. Ms. Serratore, Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources William Miller and Superindent Evette Avila spoke about the possibilities of such a program for VC’s students and look forward to expanding its capacity.
Superintendent Evette Avila spoke about providing more workshops to engage parents and improving the learning environment for students. At one point, a Rho Kappa honor student questioned what was meant by thinking of students in terms of customer service. Ms. Avila explained that the thought behind the concept is that every decision would be considered as to how it is in the best interest of the students.
School Business Official Brad Conklin spoke about facilities and highlighted that a committee is being formed to consider future plans for Walden Elementary specifically. He also noted that the BOE is still discussing the Proposed Capital Project.
Conklin said that specific departments will provide more details at the next regular meeting of the Board of Education on March 13, 2023.
The first of the budget presentations for the 2023-2024 calendar year began with a budget snapshot given by School Business Official, Brad Conklin at the January 9th, 2023 Board of Education meeting.
The purpose of this presentation was to show the board and community members what our district’s budget is already supporting and what we want to continue to support.
Mr. Conklin reviewed the 2021-2022 fiscal year budget along with the current 2022-2023 approved budget. He discussed what was added to the budget last year and the state of revenue, expenditure and fund balance as the 2021-2022 budget year ended and we entered the 2022-2023 budget year. Mr. Conklin presented some known and unknown factors that could have an impact on the budget as it is built for the 2023-2024 year.
Mr. Conklin invited all stakeholders to direct questions to the budget office by calling or emailing as to avoid any misinformation that can often come from external sources like social media.
There will be a work session of the Board of Education on Monday, January 30, 2023, at 5:30 PM in the Administration Building for the purpose of discussing the proposed referendum. No action will be taken at this work session.
The next budget presentation will be at the Board of Education meeting on Monday, February 13th, 2023 at 7:00 pm.