The Valley Central Middle School is excited to provide more information on the upcoming 8th-grade events so that families and students can plan accordingly. First, we would like to thank everyone who answered the initial survey. This has assisted our team to create events that can manage the number of participants as well as adhere to the COVID-19 safety guidelines.
On June 8th, the Middle School will host the first annual 8th Grade Awards Ceremony. This ceremony will be held in the High School Auditorium and is an invite-only event for the award recipients and 2 parents and/or family members to celebrate the students’ great accomplishments.
This event will take place in two sessions in order to follow the maximum indoor gathering of 100 people. More information will be provided to participants and their families in the next few weeks.
In order to recognize all of the 8th-graders for their efforts and resilience and to wish them the best of luck on the next steps of their journey, we will be hosting an 8th Grade Recognition Drive-Through Celebration on June 16th and June 17th. This event will be broken into two evenings in order to give our students and their families the opportunity to celebrate safely. The
information below outlines the event and as we get closer more details will be provided:
1. This event will take place in timed segments; families can arrive within the designated half-hour time slot based upon the 8th graders’ last name. 8th Grade Recognition Drive-Through Schedule. Should you have any questions or concerns about the time slots provided, please contact Class Advisor Ms. Maria Circosta at email@example.com. Otherwise please adhere to the assigned time.
2. Students should arrive in one car per 8th-grade graduate with family members entering the school complex through the Middle School entrance and drive through the middle lane and follow the direction of the staff for continued flow of traffic which will wrap around into the bus lane. In celebration, families are welcome to decorate their cars for the drive-through.
3. Each car will stop along the celebration route at various points to collect keepsakes from the VCMS PTA, Senator Skoufis’ Office, and the VCMS Faculty & Staff.
4. 8th graders will then be asked to get out of their cars to be escorted to the decorated stage that will be located in front of the Middle School. On stage, they will have their name announced and receive their 8th-grade certificate. While families remain in their car, they will be positioned directly in front of the stage to take pictures and celebrate! Students will then rejoin their parents.
More information and reminders will be provided to families as we get closer to the event dates.
Finally, the 8th Grade Dance is one of the time-honored events that so many of our students look forward to each year. Utilizing the Department of Health Interim Guidance for End of Academic Year Celebrations, the dance will be held on two separate evenings June 22nd and June 23rd from 8:30-10 PM. The theme this year is Glow Beyond 2021. Students who plan on attending will be given masks to decorate for a contest as well. We encourage students to
decorate with glow-in-the-dark paints/markers to help make the night shine! The information below outlines the event and as we get closer more details will be provided:
1. Due to the numbers of students in the class of 2021 (354) as well as the number of students interested in this event, it is planned to be held on 2 separate evenings- June 22 & June 23 from 8:30-10 PM at the Middle School.
2. We specifically did not break this event up by alphabet so that students could attend with their friend groups. Instead, there will be a maximum number of slots for each night where attendance will be determined through sign-up in the PickAtime SCHEDULER on a first-come, first served basis. Friends should coordinate with each other on the night they want to attend and then have their parents sign them up accordingly.
3. Registration for the 8th Grade Dance will take place through the PickAtime Scheduler and will begin on May 17th and will close on May 24th. Any student planning on attending MUST REGISTER by May 24th for planning purposes otherwise they will not be allowed to attend once registration closes. Students may be prohibited from attendance due to disciplinary reasons.
4. Once we have the registration process complete, students will be asked to give further information related to their friend groups for entrance and dancing purposes in order to adhere to the guidelines. More information will follow. We are excited to be celebrating the hard work and success of our 8th graders. More information about each upcoming event will be shared.
Thank you for everyone’s continued support and patience as we work through these unprecedented times.