Paul Cummings, PE Teacher/Wrestling Coach, to be inducted in the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
PE Teacher/Wrestling Coach Paul Cummings: Inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and recipient of Lifetime Service Award
The National Wrestling Hall of Fame of the Upstate New York State Chapter announced their new inductees into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame and Lifetime Service Award winners on March 3, 2019. Paul Cummings, VCMS Physical Education teacher and former VC Wrestling Coach is among the inductees.
The Upstate New York Chapter is committed to the core goals of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame which are 1) recognizing excellence in wrestling, (2) preserving the rich and colorful history of wrestling in New York and (3) inspiring future generations of New Yorkers to participate in one of the oldest and best sports in the world. The awards reflect on distinguished careers in wrestling and life.
Paul Cummings was a varsity wrestler for VCHS. Following high school, Paul began coaching for Goshen’s Modified Team while he attended OCCC. Paul finished his degree in Physical Education at SUNY Cortland; and while there he coached wrestling at Cortland High School. Paul spent 12 years in the Middletown Enlarged City School District where he transformed a struggling program into one of the best in Section IX. He was recruited to VC in 1999. Paul Cummings’ accomplishments at VC are outstanding and include:
- coaching 16 state finalists (the most in Section IX history)
- coaching 10 state champions (the most in Section IX history)
- in 2005, winning the NY Tournament State Team Championship
- his teams won five Section IX Dual Meet Team Championships
- his teams were Section IX tournament champions for nine years.
- He was Section IX Coach of the Year three times
- and in 2002-03 Paul Cummings was selected New York State Coach of the Year by the National Wrestling Coaching Association – Scholastic Division.
- Paul Cummings has recently begun a new chapter in his wrestling career as a wrestling official working in Sections I and IX.
Paul’s accomplishments will be recognized this September during an Induction Ceremony by the Upstate New York Chapter of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. Valley Central is extremely proud of Paul’s accomplishments and thankful for his dedication to the sport of wrestling and the children of the district.