GOSHEN – For the second straight year, Sophia Amchentsev from the Valley Central School District is the champion of the Orange-Ulster BOCES regional spelling bee sponsored by the Times Herald-Record. The competition involved fourteen spellers from seven local schools. To prepare, spellers studied Words of the Champions, the 4,000-word study resource provided by the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
Due to the pandemic, the Orange-Ulster BOCES Regional Spelling Bee was administered through the online testing platform provided by the Scripps National Spelling Bee. Amchentsev was declared the winner with the top score of 49 out of 50 questions.
Amchentsev now advances to compete in the 2021 Scripps National Spelling Bee. In addition to qualifying for the national finals, Amchentsev also wins these prizes:
- The Samuel Louis Sugarman Award, a 2021 United States Mint Proof Set provided by Jay Sugarman, chairman and CEO of iStar Financial, in honor of his father. Amchentsev will receive the prize this summer.
- A one-year subscription to Britannica Online Premium, the premier online resource from Encyclopædia Britannica.
- A one-year subscription to Merriam-Webster Unabridged Online, the official word source for all levels of competition for the Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- First prize plaque and ribbon donated by Orange County School Boards Association.
- A Certificate of Participation provided by Orange-Ulster BOCES, signed by Mr. William Hecht, Chief Operating Officer.
Sophia is an 8th grader at Valley Central Middle School. Congratulations, Sophia! You make us VC PROUD!